Saturday, March 15, 2008

Speakeasies and Blind Pigs


I told you I think about words.

I didn't tell you this though.

I was strolling in downtown Charlotte on a Saturday morning several weeks ago. I passed an establishment that was known, in it's name (I can't remember it's full name), as a "speakeasy". Obviously it was a bar of sorts and it wasn't open in the morning - in fact it didn't open until 8 pm nightly.

But the term "speak easy" got me thinking, as words sometimes do. What a neat concept or term for a bar I thought. A place where you can relax, speak easy with friends. A 'third place' where one could have conversations with friendly people who might not remain strangers very long.

I can't shake the desire to be involved in a "third place" of this type. A place that would be a place of conversation and healthy discussion. A place where people could meet and linger long.

I just looked up "speakeasy" in Wikipedia. It turns out the term is not as noble as I envisioned - A speakeasy was "an establishment that surreptitiously sold alcoholic beverages during the period of United States history known as Prohibition (1920-1933, longer in some states), when the sale, manufacture, and transportation of alcohol was illegal. The term comes from a patron's manner of ordering alcohol without raising suspicion — a bartender would tell a patron to be quiet and 'speak easy'."

Oohhh...

It went on to say they were related to places known as "blind pigs" - where people would be served a complimentary alcoholic beverage under the pretense of entering the establishment to view an unusual animal (such as a blind pig).

Wikipedia went on to say, at least, that "speak easies" were usually high class establishments where as "blind pigs" were generally low class dives.

Well, I still dream a high class 3rd place where people can speak easy.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Speakeasy... I like the way you think of the word alot better than the definition...