Sunday, March 2, 2008

I think about words

Like sometimes I wake up thinking about a particular word - where it comes from - it's roots - how it's related to other words - stuff like that.

This is usually pretty random - most times I don't know how I get stuck on a particular word other than my mind usually doesn't shut off at night and one gets caught in the net of my waking consciousness.

This morning I work up with the word 'espouse' caught in my brain.

Is the word 'espouse' related to 'spouse' and if it is what does it mean for one to espouse something with that connection?

So i just looked it up in the dictionary. Espouse does have the word 'spouse' as it's root. Espouse has two meanings; 1) to marry 2) to pick up the cause of (support).

Hmm... interesting. So if I espouse something maybe I better be sure I want to be married to it.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I espouse that after reading this post, I like you more than I did before.