Saturday, September 6, 2008

Blogging Thru Revelation - What I Don't Understand


Be sure to check out Paul's contribution on "Escapism" here.

I am more and more convinced this a damaging "doctrine" - it certainly sidetracks the mission of God and thus is close to heresy. It is amazing to me that when a book like "The Shack" comes out - people cry heresy on its view of the Trinity (another word not in the Bible) even though the story is clearly presented as fiction. Yet books like the "Left Behind" series don't get that kind of scrutiny. It really puzzles me that it is a bigger "offense" to "mess" with the Trinity than it is to "mess up" His mission.

As we get into this study in Revelation Paul list some important reasons why we should look into this book so be sure to check his post and the blurb from NT Wright he cites.

3 comments:

benjaminyost said...

Dave, I was shocked to hear that the view of the Trinity in "The Shack" is by some considered heresy. It is one of the best presentations of the trinity that I have ever read. And the fact that William Young included both the masculine and feminine sides of God was extremely well written. But then again that was probably the problem... I mean how can we have a God that is neither male nor female, and yet both? I love the mystery of the trinity... and "The Shack" was an awesome read... and I look forward to reading it again.

Chel said...

Just started reading "The Shack" last night, very intriguing...

Kyle said...

heresy is an interesting thing... i really wonder how many people would consider the things i'm learning in my classes to be heresy when the very scholars that they've trusted to which texts make it to their Bibles are the same scholars that say the stories in the Bible are mythical...

and plus... I think it's safe to say that Jesus was considered a heretic.

maybe heresy is necessary if faithfully rooted in truth. it celebrates "power under" and challenges the ability of religious institutions to have too much "power over."