Sunday, January 6, 2008

Quote from a wise guy

Boars Head Tavern has posted a great quote from Eugene Peterson:

What other church is there besides institutional? There’s nobody who doesn’t have problems with the church, because there’s sin in the church. But there’s no other place to be a Christian except the church. There’s sin in the local bank. There’s sin in the grocery stores. I really don’t understand this naïve criticism of the institution. I really don’t get it. Frederick von Hugel said the institution of the church is like the bark on the tree. There’s no life in the bark. It’s dead wood. But it protects the life of the tree within. And the tree grows and grows. If you take the bark off, it’s prone to disease, dehydration, death. So, yes, the church is dead but it protects something alive. And when you try to have a church without bark, it doesn’t last long. It disappears, gets sick, and it’s prone to all kinds of disease, heresy, and narcissism. (Eugene Peterson)

4 comments:

Kyle said...

Eugene Peterson certainly is a wise guy. He always seems to have the right things to say to make you think about the things you say and do in life.

I've often wondered if my complaining about the church really does any good. Does it turn people away from the church even more? does turning away from the church make them turn away from Christ? I sure hope not.

Even if there isn't any church other than the institutionalized church, though, we can still try to be a bulwark against the evils of institutionalization.

Thanks for posting this quote.

Anonymous said...

My question in response is, why does it take an instition to worship God and follow Jesus? Sin is everywhere. God is everywhere. There ain't no institution that is going to protect me from sin.

The religious institution is broken and needs fixed/changed. I think the answer is to become a disciple of the rabbi.

“So if I, the Master and Teacher, washed your feet, you must now wash each other’s feet. I’ve laid down a pattern for you. What I’ve done, you do.” (John 13:14-15 The Message)

Andrew said...

Thanks For The Quote

Sam said...

Something to think about...