Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Trip to Indiana

Brenda and I got a chance to get away this weekend for a quick trip to Indiana to see our son Ryan and his lovely fiance Kristen. They are getting married May 5 and if you can't tell I'm excited about this. I'm especially excited about welcoming another daughter to our family. (The reason I have 5 boys is because they are boys - we kept trying to have another girl it never worked.)

The occasion for our trip was a shower for Kristen which Brenda was invited to attend. The trip to Anderson, Indiana is 337 miles which means almost 6 hours of driving for me. Brenda doesn't like to drive unless she has to and I don't mind driving but when I drive I usually get into a "zone". I turn on my music and get lost in my own thoughts.

Brenda doesn't like the "zone". She considers it a shame to have ridden 6 hours with a person and not to have had some conversation with them. I find no problem with that and figure I could be a good truck driver. But on this trip to Indiana I decided I would try to be more of conversationalists and stay out of the "zone".

I did pretty good at least on the trip out. I cheated because I need help - so I looked around on the internet and got a printable list of "discussion" questions for married couples. We took turns picking numbers and answering the questions. It went better than I thought it would and I think I got points from Brenda for it. I really did enjoy it and learned some stuff about my wife.

On the way home we were both talked out from the weekend and she got a little sleepy so I did enter the "zone" and listened to some good classic rock tunes half of the way home.

2 comments:

Chel said...

I am glad you made the effort to spark the conversation with some discussion starters,thats a good idea! Sometimes John and I only end up talking about the kids or money, and It is wise to shake things up a bit! I thnk we will try something like that!

Sam said...

Points are always good. Nice move! :-)