Sunday, January 28, 2007

Ride Captain Ride


I've got biking music on my mp3 player that gets (and keeps) me going. The other day (when it was above 40) this song came on ...


Seventy-three men sailed up from the San Francisco Bay,

Rolled off of their ship and here's what they had to say...

"We're callin' everyone to ride along- to another shore,

We can laugh our lives awayand be free once more."

But no one heard them callin', no one came at all,

'Cause they were too busy watchin' those old raindrops fall.

As a storm was blowin' out on the peaceful sea,

Seventy-three men sailed off to history.


Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship,

Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.

Ride captain ride upon your mystery ship,

On your way to a world that others might have missed.



I remember this song from the 60's by The Blues Image but I never knew who they were singing about. (I thought then it might have been a "veiled" drug reference; I don't think anybody really knows for sure, though some speculate it may have been about Sir Francis Drake). But today I can't help but think they might have been singing about anyone who answers the Captains call to journey with Him. I am amazed at the friends I have here on this trip!

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Good to have you! Looking forward to more thoughts and stories.

Sam said...

Welcome to the fun.

drifter said...

It's amazing how many times well written "secular" verse corresponds to our spiritual journey. I rarely think it is coincidence. Instead I believe that since we all share the same spiritual hunger - (evengelicals read "Christ sized whole in your heart")that those who muse deeply -such as this song writer, want to write about that journey even if they havn't yet discovered the answer - our Lord.

Welcome to the Blogesphere Dave!