Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Honestly

The other night I was watching a movie ("The Departed" - the story was interesting but the language was "over-flavored" with the f-word for my liking; and if you like happy endings you probably wouldn't be happy about this one)...

Anyway, though, something in the movie got me thinking. A counselor was talking to her client and remarked something to the effect -"telling the truth is not equal to honesty".

Then last night I was reading a blog where someone, unrelated to the movie, made a similar statement.

Honestly (this was a bad place for a pun) in my mind I have considered "truth" and "honesty" to be pretty much synonymous (the same thing).

I am thinking about this one. I have some thoughts but I'd like to hear yours first. What do you think - Is "telling the truth" the same thing as "honesty"?

6 comments:

Kyle said...

Good discussion question. I look forward to yours and others answers.

I have never really thought about the difference between truth and honesty, but it somehwat makes sense. Honesty is acting with sincerity and truthfulness to the best of your ability. I think you could say that honesty is living the whole truth. You can say a truthful statement but still leave things out of the picture. For instance, a little kid might have had a babysitter get him a cookie from the kitchen when the mother told the kid not to take any cookies. when she asks the kid if he took a cookie he could truthfully say no. He still ate the cookie. He was truthful but not very honest. Does that make sense?

Sam said...

I'm with Kyle, I never seperated the two. But his example proves there is an obvious difference. I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know what context it was said in. Either way, how sad it is that many people follow Kyle's example as a sneaky way around.

Chel said...

A truthful statement may also hurt someone- for example if a wife asks her husband "How do you like my new haircut" and the husband honestly thinks "it looks like shit" should he say that?.............Hmmm........

Sam said...

Well, Chel, would you rather your husband was honest with you or would you rather go out into the world and have many many many people tell you that? (Most likely in a lot meaner way than your man would.)I gotta think an honest spouse, no matter how hurtful, is better. As such, yes, he should tell you!

Dave said...

In the movie I was watching, the counselor was trying to get the "counselee" to talk about his "feelings" - something he was having a hard time doing. So the statement was made in this context, which, I agree with Kyle, makes sense - you can be truthful and not very honest.

But truthfully (or should I say, honestly?) this is where I have my struggle - where it comes to feelings.

Chel said...

Sam- You make a good point, Of course John would be a lot gentler, because he is a gentle soul... "He would just say, well do you like it?" Dave_ I think I understand what you are saying, I am often not honest or open with my feelings, that is very difficult.